The other day Willow of Willow Manor (seen above) interviewed me.
Q. You recently moved to New York City from Marrakesh. What took you to Marrakesh in the first place and what did you most like about living there?
A.We moved to Marrakesh because it is all the things they tell you it is: amazingly beautiful, mysterious, exciting raffish and full of fascinating people. It reminded us a little of Florence 35 years ago. We miss it a lot. The people,the orange juice,the colors, everything.
Q. How did you meet your artist husband?
A."He's gone to Africa. He won't come back for these," Fabio Monsignori said, handing me a bag of Venetian beads. I strung them and sold them on the Ponte Vecchio.
He came back....
Q.If you could invite one historical figure to dinner, who would it be and why?
A. The essayist Charles Lamb because he seems such a completely nice person. Perceptive, articulate, kind and interested in other people. And what people he knew.....
Q. What inspires you most as an author?
A. The past, memory, other books, looking about me.
Q. Who are your five most favorite writers?
A. Very unkind only to be allowed five out of lots and lots
1. W.G.Sebald: such an erudite melange of narrative, memoir, fiction and who knows what. Not to mention bad photos.
2. Jane Austen: such a very acute observer of life.
3. Paul Auster: finds mystery in the mundane. The earlier books.
4. Mollie Panter-Downes: who brings to life the lost world of my youth.
5. A.M. Homes: so utterly now.
If you would like to be interviewed by me, leave me a comment below and I'll get back to you with questions and so on and so forth........