Friday, May 4, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you The Queen



To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee I joined with lots of other ex-pats, and others with connections to Britain, to go to a lunch to raise money for the Victoria Nursing Home in Ossining, New York.  


One of the things British ladies do well is hats, so I felt sadly underdressed without even a fascinator.


So many splendid chapeaux.


Pale  spring green was a popular color.


The talk by Peter McGowan, a Yeoman Warder from the Tower of London --(yes, you know, a Beefeater!) was wonderfully entertaining. Most popular question: "Have you actually met the Queen?"


More hats on parade.


Even the Queen's contemporaries were beautifully dressed.



On a completely different note, and from a completely different part of my life, Maryam Montague's lovely new book Marrakesh by Design has just come out.


I spy Robert's drawings on page 141. Maryam will be in New York on May 16th signing copies of the book See details here.


6 comments:

  1. I love when you post about the luncheons you go to where everyone dress up. The hats were wonderful.
    What a lovely way to spend the afternoon.
    Did the Yeoman Warder meet the Queen ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats are great!
    The Queen's temporary with the hat looks just like my late grandma...
    enjoy your weekend,
    Beatrice
    ~.~.~.~.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the hats were sumptuous indeed. Being a yank, I wonder why British ladies love their hats. Is there a story? I too am curious how the Yeoman Warder answered the question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very classy ladies who know how to dress for a party. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day! Everyone looks terrific in their hats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps Yes, the Yeoman warder had met the Queen on various occasions....!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you!